Raising healthy children is vital to ensuring a successful community with a high quality of life!
The 5-2-1-0 initiative is a campaign designed to help Volusia County families and children create healthy lifestyles. 5-2-1-0 teaches them to follow four basic guidelines:
- Eat 5 or more servings of fruits and vegetables every day
- Limit recreational screen time to 2 hours or less
- Be active for 1 hour or more each day
- Drink 0 sugar-sweetened drinks
How It Works:
We’ve teamed up with Let’s Go!, a nationally recognized program that helps create healthier environments. Places where children and their families live, learn, work and play.
- Schools, child cares, after school programs
- Health care practices, workplaces, and communities
Our Quality Initiatives staff visit local centers to share classroom materials and books to reinforce the 5-2-1-0 initiative for healthy children!
Each center then decides how they want to model the 5-2-1-0 guidelines. They can either grow a garden together as a class or have a self-watering garden container to grow fruits and vegetables.
As part of this initiative, parents receive a monthly letter on healthy life choices. The letter includes tips for continuing healthy eating habits at home.
You can help us foster healthy children by clicking the link below for more information!